Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 102

Thread: 10 Best comedy albums of 2009

  1. #41
    Phil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    897

    Re: 10 Best comedy albums of 2009

    I just posted my Top 10 Stand-up Comedy Albums from 2009...
    (http://www.philschwarzmann.com/phils...lbums-of-2009/)

    10. Paul F. Tompkins, “Freak Wharf” (AST Records) – If I don't include PFT in my Top 10 I fear I'll be banished from AST.

    9. Eugene Mirman, “God is a 12-Year Old Boy with Aspergers” (Sub Pop) – He was in Special Ed!!

    8. Doug Benson, “Unbalanced Load” (Comedy Central Records) – Pot is funny.

    7. Big Jay Oakerson, “An American Storyteller” (Comedy Central Records) – I never get tired of dick jokes.

    6. Laurie Kilmartin, “Five Minutes to Myself” (Rooftop Comedy) – She's anal about birth control and being funny.

    5. Patton Oswalt, “My Weakness is Strong” (WEA/Reprise) – I both hate these DVD/CD combos, but I'll make an exception for Patton.

    4. John Mulaney, “The Top Part” (Comedy Central Records) – Agreed he didn't get the respect he deserves.

    3. Matt Braunger, “Soak up the Night” (Comedy Central Records) – I lift weights to Morrissey too.

    2. Todd Glass, “Thin Pig” (Comedy Central Records) – Not sure why this hasn't been raved about.

    1. Maria Bamford, “Unwanted Thoughts Syndrome” (Comedy Central Records) – Phone messages from the Baby Jesus.

    Funniest. Woman. Ever.



  2. #42
    scamboogah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Spirit World
    Posts
    8,034

    Re: 10 Best comedy albums of 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by chucksteak View Post
    I hope when I'm in my mid forties I can get high every day and be tapped into the youth culture like a tap in a keg at a frat party.
    This may be the worst simile ever written.
    Hey, check me out. I'm a ghost.



  3. #43
    pg13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,219

    Re: 10 Best comedy albums of 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    What's up with Todd Glass's "Thin Pig" getting no respect on them internets? Friggin' love that album.
    I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to "albums" that only exist in theory, as downloads, rather than as a physical product. (eg, my specific knowledge of NNF begins and ends with "Volume One")

    Love Todd Glass...if I saw "Thin Pig" cd at my friendly local record store, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

    pg--It's not like I don't already have too much to listen to in limiting myself to cds, you know...--seattle

    PS--Replying only because the matter was brought up...

    Quote Originally Posted by drbristol
    Dude - let it go.

    You can say his opinion sucks - and I believe you have - but by the very nature of it being his "opinion" it can't be wrong.
    Actually, had Dylan said "Yeah, I liked Mulaney...but I liked the other releases better," or "I didn't really get into the Mulaney too much" I doubt I would have bothered to chime in on this thread. While I can support the merits of a given work, I understand the limitations of trying to argue someone into liking something (or liking something more) if they don't.

    However, what got me to participate in the thread was Dylan's answer to others wondering where Mulaney was...

    Quote Originally Posted by punchlinemagazine
    we're not done with our year-end lists. we love Mulaney (the album was great, but he's got so much more going on, that it's more about the man -- not the album -- this year). there will be a "comics to look out for in 2010 " list.
    ...and that bugged me enough to write. The list was "10 Best comedy albums of 2009" not "10 Best comedy albums of 2009 NOT done by people we think will do other things in 2010".

    "The Top Part" is what Mulaney has done...it exists, it is tangible, it is reviewable, it is comparable to the other comedy albums of the year. (And, you're right, I've made my opinion on the album quite clear...) Regardless of what you might imagine Mulaney capable of accomplishing in the future, you don't simply ignore the work that he's produced...you don't deny him the props he's earned just because you want to put him on a different list that ranks something entirely different.

    Sure, "Citizen Kane" was a great film...but we're not putting that in our best films of 1941, because, we're putting Orson Welles on a list of "Filmmakers to look out for in 1942" because he's got so many great projects coming up! (Trust me, wait until you see "The Magnificent Ambersons"!)--that's the attitude that rubbed me the wrong way.

    And believe me, I know that Punchline can do what they want, honor who they want... I've got no particular beef with Dylan...in fact, I certainly enjoy how his site shines a light on stand-up comedians that would otherwise have little national coverage (...including Dan Cummins). I'm a big fan of Punchline and will continue to be, even if I may disagree with their year end lists...

    But, I still think of AST as a place where we can talk intelligently about comedy...and I'd think the "Dude, it's just his opinion" is an accepted tenet that taken as read here.
    We'll just take the fact that this was too long and that you didn't read it...as read.



  4. #44
    Phil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    897

    Re: 10 Best comedy albums of 2009

    Here's an interesting list from The Serious Comedy Site: http://www.theseriouscomedysite.com/....php?r_id=1723

    Our top 10 comedy CDs for 2009. Not even sure there are 10. If you disagree, email us and we might send you a CD or something. Carla Unbrich - Live From Outer Space (Independent)
    This comic chanteuse is talented and funny or is it funny and talented.
    Dwight York - Quickies (Stand up! Records)
    Jokes and lots of jokes in a rapid-fire adult performance
    Christopher Titus - Love is Evol (Comedy Central)
    Fresh out of an abusive relationship, Titus is brilliant.
    Paula Poundstone - I Love Jokes (Independent)
    Steve Hofstetter's Day Off (Next Round)
    Comic improvises an hour set based on audience reactions. Biiiiig baaals
    Garrison Keillor - Even More Pretty Good Jokes (Highbridge Audio) Best of the last 3 years of Prairie Home Companion joke show.
    Steve Sabo - A Mouthful of Sea Monkeys (BSeen Media)
    Matt Kirshen - I Guess We'll Never Know (Stand Up! Records) Solid, funny, and adult audience. (Stand Up! Records)

    Keith Lowell Jensen - Live at Luna's (Independent)
    Very funny adult audience stand-up comedy.
    Jamie Kilstein - Zombie Jesus (Stand Up! Records)
    WWZJD? Buy this very funny and dark comedy CD.



    Richard Lanoie



  5. #45
    Having Fun!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,844

    Re: 10 Best comedy albums of 2009

    I think the AP Stylebook says that it is an illegal move to have a PS (post script) portion of a post that's longer than the actual post.

    Also, Garrison Keillor being on a Top 10 comedy album list is the equivalent of Aqualung winning Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance award.
    Garrett Gonzalez Morris (born February 1, 1937) is an American comedian and actor from New Orleans, Louisiana. He was part of the original cast of the sketch comedy program Saturday Night Live, appearing from 1975 to 1980

    For the British flautist, see Gareth Morris.



  6. #46
    metal2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    434

    Re: 10 Best comedy albums of 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by maxbarth View Post
    Macbarth? How'd you get the script to my Shakespearean one-man show?
    Thanks though.


    And I totally forgot about Mirman. "God is a Twelve Year Old Boy With Aspergers" is fantastic. Listened to it in the car on a long drive. The voice he does for "I'll turn you into salt!"..haha.

    And the iTunes list...almost too broad in terms of style. It's just weird to compare Katt Williams to Eugene Mirman. Completely different audiences/intentions. Just another reason these lists are tough to take seriously.
    Pretty sure the iTunes list is just listing the top-selling comedy albums of the year. That'd be my guess, anyway, since I don't recall much (if any) non-user-generated opinion pieces of any kind on iTunes.



  7. #47
    maxbarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    135

    Re: 10 Best comedy albums of 2009

    Pretty sure the iTunes list is just listing the top-selling comedy albums of the year. That'd be my guess, anyway, since I don't recall much (if any) non-user-generated opinion pieces of any kind on iTunes.
    Ah. Right.
    maxbarth.tumblr.com
    @HeIsMaxBarth
    http://anothercomedyshow.podbean.com (New episode with comedian Moshe Kasher! Free, of course)
    youtube.com/mb10289



  8. #48
    Administrator isoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    11,102

    Re: 10 Best comedy albums of 2009

    ... Except the entire Rewind 2009 Music spread, you mean? And I reiterate, Moshe Kasher could not have outsold Dane Cook.



  9. #49
    drbristol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    423

    Re: 10 Best comedy albums of 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by pg13 View Post
    Actually, had Dylan said "Yeah, I liked Mulaney...but I liked the other releases better," or "I didn't really get into the Mulaney too much" I doubt I would have bothered to chime in on this thread. While I can support the merits of a given work, I understand the limitations of trying to argue someone into liking something (or liking something more) if they don't.

    However, what got me to participate in the thread was Dylan's answer to others wondering where Mulaney was...SNIP...and that bugged me enough to write. The list was "10 Best comedy albums of 2009" not "10 Best comedy albums of 2009 NOT done by people we think will do other things in 2010".

    As you explain it that way, I can't disagree with your logic - it's as if the album is being penalized by Mulaney being eligible in another category (someone to watch) rather than judged on its own merits as a comedy album. And Dylan's response did seem to be a bit of backpedalling...it's either one of his ten best albums or it's not; the caveats shouldn't matter.

    Initially I thought the thrust of your argument was more that you felt Mulaney's record was Top Ten and anyone who didn't agree (Dylan) was just wrong. I should have read more carefully, so mea culpa there.
    Your daily dose at http://drbristol.wordpress.com/

    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.



  10. #50

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    560

    Re: 10 Best comedy albums of 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by isoS View Post
    And I reiterate, Moshe Kasher could not have outsold Dane Cook.
    God, but that would be a magic day.



  11. #51
    pg13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,219

    Re: 10 Best comedy albums of 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by Having Fun! View Post
    Also, Garrison Keillor being on a Top 10 comedy album list is the equivalent of Aqualung winning Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance award.
    That is either sublimely brilliant...or a genius mistake.

    Either way...bravo HF!

    pg--The Grammy's have spoken: Jethro Tull > Metallica--seattle

    PS--Better?
    We'll just take the fact that this was too long and that you didn't read it...as read.



  12. #52
    aenemaTron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10,096

    Re: 10 Best comedy albums of 2009

    Grammy's what?



  13. #53
    Administrator isoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    11,102

    Re: 10 Best comedy albums of 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Braunger View Post
    God, but that would be a magic day.
    Amen Brother Braunger (keeping with the religious theme).



  14. #54
    pg13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,219

    Re: 10 Best comedy albums of 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by aenemaTron View Post
    Grammy's what?



    pg--I don't think "Grammies" is accurate either, though...is it Grammys? English is so confuckingfusfuckinging sometimes.--seattle
    We'll just take the fact that this was too long and that you didn't read it...as read.



  15. #55
    scamboogah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Spirit World
    Posts
    8,034

    Re: 10 Best comedy albums of 2009

    That guy wasted a lot of money on apostrophes.

    High Fullutent.
    Hey, check me out. I'm a ghost.



  16. #56
    drbristol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    423

    Re: 10 Best comedy albums of 2009

    Nice poster. But I can't get behind any movement that misuses apostrophes with abandon.

    (Then again, was I expecting the people behind that poster to have an edjumication?)
    Your daily dose at http://drbristol.wordpress.com/

    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.



  17. #57
    James Smann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pizza
    Posts
    1,768

    Re: 10 Best comedy albums of 2009

    Hey PG13-where's that poster from? I was at SXSW a couple years ago and this preacher and his family was out in the middle of the street holding signs that looked a lot like that.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool."



  18. #58
    Having Fun!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,844

    Re: 10 Best comedy albums of 2009

    any chance we can get Tommy to change the Sporots thread to Sporots II: Sport's Nut's
    Garrett Gonzalez Morris (born February 1, 1937) is an American comedian and actor from New Orleans, Louisiana. He was part of the original cast of the sketch comedy program Saturday Night Live, appearing from 1975 to 1980

    For the British flautist, see Gareth Morris.



  19. #59
    scamboogah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Spirit World
    Posts
    8,034

    Re: 10 Best comedy albums of 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by Having Fun! View Post
    any chance we can get Tommy to change the Sporots thread to Sporots II: Sport's Nut's
    Only if we can change the Periods and Tampons thread to 'Loudmouth Women'...
    Hey, check me out. I'm a ghost.



  20. #60
    punchlinemagazine.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    81

    Re: 10 Best comedy albums of 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by drbristol View Post
    As you explain it that way, I can't disagree with your logic - it's as if the album is being penalized by Mulaney being eligible in another category (someone to watch) rather than judged on its own merits as a comedy album. And Dylan's response did seem to be a bit of backpedalling...it's either one of his ten best albums or it's not; the caveats shouldn't matter.

    Initially I thought the thrust of your argument was more that you felt Mulaney's record was Top Ten and anyone who didn't agree (Dylan) was just wrong. I should have read more carefully, so mea culpa there.
    this is also in response to pg13: if Mulaney's album ranked in the top ten in our collective opinions, it would've been on the list. that i said i really liked the Mulaney album doesn't mean we thought it should be on the top ten list but we didn't put it on because we thought Mulaney should be on another list. it means collectively we thought the albums listed deserved to be on the list. i assumed the list was sufficient explanation of that. i, personally, think Mulaney is a great comic and put out a great album. But he wasn't the only one in the running who almost made the list.

    as i said before. there were other great albums that were not listed: Dwight York, Moshe Kasher, Glass, Braunger, Oakerson, Proops, Madrigal, Pat Dixon, Naturman, Di Paolo ...

    sorry if i didn't make this clear before. also, i'm really excited that people -- especially pg13 -- are so passionate about the comedians they love. beats the hell out of athlete or movie star worship.

    -dylan



Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. best comedy albums of 2010
    By AllSussedOut in forum AST: Comedy
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: January 19, 2011, 12:12 PM
  2. Itunes top 20 Comedy Albums of 2009
    By oaklandfunk in forum AST: Comedy
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: December 10, 2009, 12:00 PM
  3. Miscellaneous Comedy Albums
    By Phil in forum AST: Comedy
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: September 14, 2009, 5:02 PM
  4. Best comedy albums of 2008 ?
    By Phil in forum AST: Comedy
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: January 8, 2009, 4:53 PM
  5. comedy albums with music?
    By Max Goldberg in forum AST: Comedy
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: August 14, 2008, 6:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •